Día de Los Muertos As Told By Instagram

They say this time of year is when the veil between the two worlds is thinnest. Mexico’s Día de Los Muertos celebrates this special time by honoring ancestors and lost loved ones. For more on the history and customs of Día de los Muertos watch our latest short documentary. Here are some of the colorful sights from the … Read more

Welcome to the Templo Santa Muerte Where Death is Queen

Templo Santa Muerte in Los Angeles. Standing inside the Templo Santa Muerte in Los Angeles feels palpably scary and, admittedly, a little unnerving. The imagery strikes a darker chord than the jovial skeletons which ornament this same Hollywood neighborhood around Dia de Los Muertos. In the far corner looms the central figure of a skeleton … Read more

Twilight: A Fantasy Photo Diary of Death

Photographer Urszula Kluz-Knopek transformed the paralyzing fear of her parent’s death into a transcendent photography exhibit starring them. Here’s what Urszula had to say about ‘Twilight’. WYD: Where did the inspiration for Twilight come from? UKK: I am a late child of my parents. My first memories from childhood were about fear of dying of … Read more

Death Doula Jill Schock on ‘The Perfect Death’

Each body has its own way of shutting down due to illness or injury. In a natural death, your breathing will simply slow until it stops. That is out of our control. Eventually all of our bodies will wear down to nothing more than ashes and dust. But American culture struggles with accepting mortality. We don’t like to age; we don’t like ugly. Unfortunately, neither idealizing nor ignoring death will make it go away.

Newsletters are few and we promise never to spam you or share your contact information.

We’ll give you something to talk about!

For updates on our documentary and where you can see it, as well as new articles and podcasts from the WYD team – sign up!

Newsletters are few and we promise never to spam you or share your contact information.